Slaganje PC konfiguracija

GamersNexus thoughts about the Ryzen 5 3600

HaM uto 28.4.2020 16:10

Evo jedan text sa reedita od usera svartchimpans, prenosim ga u potpunosti zajedno sa linkom pri dnu. Što mislite o njemu?
-----

Was having some last moment doubts about the 3700x that I was gonna buy (was thinking of upgrading to the 3900x), and looked again at the whole lineup. What I found out is very interesting...

Every single processor in the Ryzen 3000 series uses the exact same physical hardware (chip design). They are all cut out from the exact same "AMD Zen2" CPU core chip wafer in the factory. They just bin (sort) the Zen2 cores differently in the factory based on their factory overclock potential and then assign how many cores are gonna go inside each CPU, and how much cache they'll put inside the CPU, etc. Sure, this isn't surprising to anyone. Intel does the same. But it's still good to be reminded of this sometimes.

So basically, they are all the same, just that the "easiest overclockers" got factory-sorted into the higher-priced CPUs, and got a higher overclock by default. But, as GamersNexus points out: The binning doesn't *really* matter. The entire Ryzen 3000 series all overclock "about the same" (about as well as each other). He mentions in several videos that every Ryzen 3000 series overclocks to exactly 4.3 GHz at all-core full load. Literally all of them no matter which one it is! Since they are all the same chip and because the Zen2 architecture is remarkably consistent in quality of all chips.

Here's the thing... I was watching Gamers Nexus (easily the most advanced, nerdy, in-depth, most amazing tech reviewer out there), and he was showing several things in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAGQwWDyURI

This is what he very clearly and elegantly demonstrated:

• All tests were done with both stock and several variants of overclocking for every CPU.

• 3800x does not need to exist at all. It's a 3700x with a slight +100MHz-ish extra factory overclock, but when you overclock them both manually their performance match up perfectly. It's literally the exact same CPU for a slightly higher price.

• 3600 overclocked gives "basically" the exact same game framerates (including "1% low FPS") as the 3700x, 3800x and 3900x (also all overclocked). There's almost no difference whatsoever in games.

• The only ones worth considering are 3600, 3700x and 3900x.

• The 3600 is for all types of gaming and pretty much all general desktop use. Photo editing, video editing with GPU-accelerated rendering, etc. Including music producers who can run massive 200/300-plugin projects on this with absolutely zero issue at all (he didn't mention that, but I'm a producer and looking at the geekbench scores compared to my existing setup, I can tell you that the 3600 is a total beast for music producers; audio plugins are nowhere near as heavy as other kinds of creative computer tasks such as video editing).

• The 3700x is for people who often do very CPU-heavy tasks that apply a 100% load to all cores, and want to save time while doing those tasks. For example: Video rendering with software-effects. Blender 3D rendering. Multiple virtual machines at the same time. To a certain extent it's also decent for music producers who just want those two extra cores (8 instead of 6 cores) for whatever reason, but you really don't need it (you would be hard-pressed to ever max out a 3600 for music production). The bottom line is... the 3700x is the best value "heavy multicore" processor. But few people will use it to its actual potential. Regular desktop users can shave off a few seconds on certain heavy things like unzipping etc (compared to a Ryzen 3600), or maybe even save a minute in a 14-minute heavy CPU task, but overall, those "heavy CPU" performance gains simply aren't going to be even noticed by regular people. Especially not by gamers. And how often do you unzip files anyway? And can you wait a few seconds extra or maybe a minute extra during a 15 minute unzipping? Then a 3600 is all you need. You need to be heavily CPU-bound to need the 3700x CPU at all. He does not recommend buying it unless you do one of the kinds of tasks that I just described.

• The 3900x is "the beast". 12 cores. Totally overkill for gaming (yet again, its FPS results are almost the same as a 3600). This is for the market of people who know WHY they want 12 cores. It's for people who do video production with heavy accelerated effects. It's for content producers/editing machines that need to crank out tons of videos very rapidly for big YouTube channels. It's for people who run insane amounts of RAM (64 GB, 96 GB, or 128 GB) and tons of virtual machines all at once. It's for people who render 3D movies/photos for a living. It's for... the biggest of the biggest power users. For everyone else it's basically a totally "meh, so what, it let me unzip the zip file unnoticeably faster compared to my 3600... oh and look, the game framerates are like 2-5 FPS higher than my 3600 which is already in the 160 FPS range for [insert example game here]".

Something else to keep in mind is that the 3900x has a 105 watt power draw. That's almost twice of what all the other CPUs on the list use. So you need a much heavier CPU cooler because every watt generates CPU heat. And you need a beefier power supply. And you use more electricity. It's just absolutely mental to put a 3900x in a general gaming machine (no offense to anyone who did that). It's a workstation/content production CPU and almost nobody needs it.

I know that many gamers pick the 3700x by default since it is still known as a good mid-range CPU for a valuable price with 8 cores, etc. And that's fine. But it *is* a bit overkill. The 3600 overclocked is basically identical to the 3700x overclocked, in games, as mentioned.

To make matters even more interesting...

• A Ryzen 3700x + a RTX 2070 Super costs the same as a Ryzen 3600 + a RTX 2080 Super. This will give a lot more FPS increase than the CPU would. There may be a very slight extra cost, but they are roughly the same price, here in Sweden (I compare prices of the cards using only the quality brands of RTX graphics cards). Roughly the same can be expected elsewhere in the world too. (Except in regions with really infamously messed up prices, such as Australia, of course... Ay mates, I can't imagine how rough it is there...)

• Or use the saved money by getting a Ryzen 3600 + a RTX 2070 Super and spend it on upgrading another component such as PSU, case, RAM, SSD quality, etc.

• Then of course we shouldn't forget that AMD is releasing the RDNA 2 (aka "Navi 2X", and formerly known as "Big Navi") desktop graphics cards in late 2020, the same graphics chips that power the Xbox Series X and Playstation 5. But they will probably rival a 2080 Super in price, and heck if you have a 2080 Super today, you can sell it (to nVidia lovers) on the Navi launch day and still make a good chunk of money back since it's the top of the line "pro-sumer" (non-T.I.) card.

• Another very big consideration is the fact that 2020 is the final year of AMD's AM4 socket. In late 2020 they will release the Ryzen 4000 CPUs that will use an enhanced process and most likely give 20% increased performance-per-watt (same as their new Ryzen 4000 mobile CPUs). It's very likely that the entry-level Ryzen 4000 processor will beat most of the Ryzen 3000 CPUs, apart from "high core count beasts" such as the 3900x. But in 2021 they're launching an entirely new socket, the AM5 with the Ryzen 5000 series, which will include things such as USB4 support and DDR5 memory. So it doesn't make sense to "max out" an AM4 right now. Not considering that Ryzen 4000 is so close, and that a total replacement AM5 socket is coming next year. (Maxing out a computer right now, such as with a 3900x 12-core, mainly makes sense for people who make a living that is directly affected by how fast their CPUs can render/output the result of the thing you're creating.)

• So in summary, for a gamer today, right now, it makes most sense to get a Ryzen 3600, with the best GPU you can buy, and the best (overclockable) motherboard and RAM you can buy. Here is GamersNexus listing of the best Ryzen motherboards on the market right now, which are the ones he has found gives the best overclock stability, etc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGY2mqTn2rc And here are his guides for overclocking the 3600: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JscRwIH3OAY (undervolting) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IY_KlkQK1Q (RAM) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7NzNi1xX_4 (PBO). Oh and if someone wants his original Ryzen 3600 review, it's here with a "Strong Recommendation": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AbNeht4tAE ... And lastly, he mentions the importance of cooling to maintain high clock speeds on Ryzen in these two videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g94rNe4XSGU and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL1F-qliSUk ... The fact that the 3600 has 6 cores means it will also run much colder than 3700X/3900X and therefore be much easier to cool down when overclocking too (thus giving you less fan noise). So it's a win-win.

It's been an interesting and educational day, and seeing the benchmark and overclock results from the most respectable overclocker in the tech industry (he goes into so much detail that most people can't even listen to him), just convinced me to get a Ryzen 3600 and the 2080 Super. I want to thank GamersNexus for their no-bullshit, technical approach to all of this.

Hope this summary helps someone else while we all continue to await the new Ryzen 4000, socket AM5 and AMD + nVidia graphics cards that are all on the horizon! :-)

Edit: As for 3600x, he summarizes it as "paying $50 for the letter X". It's the same as the 3600: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDV7aA6arVo summarized as "There is no difference in anything except a higher overclock out of the box, but you can just do that yourself."

------
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/g85f2m/gamersnexus_thoughts_about_the_ryzen_5_3600_vs/